British expats struggle to start the day without a good old fashioned British crumpet, if the results of a new survey are to be believed.
According to data compiled by online supermarket British Corner Shop, crumpets are the most in demand food requested by British expats in all four corners of the globe. The website figures show that nearly 17,000 packets of crumpets have been ordered by overseas-based Brits in the past 12 months.
Heinz Baked Beans are also much missed, with infant milk, Bisto gravy granules and Heinz tomato soup rounding out the top five most ordered foods through the supermarket between June 2014 and June 2015.
Maybe surprisingly, given the well known British penchant for a cup of tea, the highest placed tea-based product, Tetley Early Grey and Vanilla teabags, was only the tenth most ordered item.
Top ten British selling products abroad
- Crumpets (16,986 packets ordered)
- Heinz Baked Beans (14,257)
- Hipp Organic First Infant Milk (13,824)
- Bisto Gravy Granules (13,491)
- Heinz Tomato Soup (13,157)
- Cadbury Creme Egg (13,153)
- Paxo Sage and Onion Stuffing (12,989)
- Branston Pickle (12,872)
- McVities Ginger Nuts (12,510)
- Tetley Early Grey and Vanilla 50 teabags (12,416)
Source: British Corner Shop, sales stats for July 2014-July 2015