A life-changing move to Australia is exciting and daunting in equal measures. A professional removals firm with decades of international home removals experience, will help the move run smoothly, keeping stress to a minimum.
Whether you’re setting up home in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane or Perth – or somewhere more remote – you want to ensure that your treasured possessions are in safe hands, so that your new life overseas starts positively, with everything arriving intact and on time.
Having a knowledgeable team on hand helps reduce anxieties and boost excitement about your move. A specialist international removals company will do more than just help you with packing and shipping. They will make sure you receive quality advice on all aspects of your relocation, so that you feel guided and supported every step of the way.
What can your removals firm help with?
- Coordinating your removal to Australia – advice on tasks to complete and timings
- Documentation – details of tax, visas, import and insurance paperwork needed
- Exports – advice on legal restrictions of what to take and what to leave behind
- Costs – detailed outline of the costs involved in international removals
- Local knowledge – account managers who know the unique cultural, economic and legal landscape of where you are headed
- Specialist partners – recommendations for reliable consultancy on recruitment, visas, banking, education, pet shipping, finances, tax and pensions
Moving to Australia | A Brief Guide
- If you’re travelling light (1-20 cartons), an excess baggage service will cover your needs; if you have over 20 cartons to ship, a part or full removals service will be needed.
- It’s advisable to book a removals service 4 weeks prior to your move. If the date of moving may be subject to change, ask your removals firm for a provisional booking.
- If you do not have an address at the time of booking your removal, a contact address and contact details should suffice. The delivery address can be advised later.
- When shipping your personal belongings to Australia, the transit time between removal in the UK and arrival at your new home will be approximately 6-8 weeks, for full container shipments, and 8-12 weeks for part load shipments.
- All goods entering Australia are subject to a physical examination by DAFF (Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry) before they can be released for delivery.
- Once your goods have been released by Australian customs as well as DAFF your removals firm will contact you to arrange a suitable delivery day.
- Documents you will need to produce include: Australian customs form B534, removal inventory, valuation form for shipment protection cover, copies of your passport and visa, purchase receipts (if you are importing any newly purchased goods), import approval (if you are importing a car).
- Beware that restricted exports to Australia, where approval maybe required, include: some medicines; some cosmetics; products made from endangered animal fur/skin/tusks (with CITES certificate); firearms and ammunition; knives and daggers, martial arts weapons; bamboo, wicker or cane items. Speak to your removal specialists for an up-to-date list.
- Prohibited exports to Australia include: seeds, plants and dried floral arrangements; pinecones or any plant matter; untreated wood or bark; food and meats; and endangered animal fur/skin/tusks (without CITES certificate).
- Antiques with a value above AUD1000 are likely to require an import declaration. Antiques older than 100 years may be imported free of duty if a Certificate of Antiquity issued by a recognised association or authority can be provided.
- Prices for international removals to Australia depend on destination and shipment size.
- All goods entering Australia are subject to duty tax and Goods & Services Tax (GST). However, a personal or household effects shipment will qualify for free entry if your goods have been owned and used for 12 months or more by you.
- The cost of Shipment Protection Cover is based on the total insurable value of the shipment that you declare. As a guide, expect 2.8% for consignments packed by the removal firm; 3.5% for consignments packed by the customer; 2% for vehicle shipments; and 5% for owner-packed baggage/airfreight consignments.